Design and Performance Evaluation of Modular Compliant Mechanisms
In this study, modular design for compliant stage using a parallelogram flexure module is proposed. The material of the proposed stages chosen is Aluminium alloy T6-6051 due to excellent phase stability, low internal stresses, low density etc. The stage is driven by a linear electromagnetic actuator i.e. voice coil actuator. The preliminary static structural analysis is used to determine the range of motion, stiffness by considering stress limitations. FEA results show a maximum range of motion up to 30mm without exceeding stress limit of 275 Mpa. The proposed mechanisms provide low stiffness in the degree of freedom directions and provide large stiffness in the degree of constraint direction.so it is adequately constrained. The stage provides high precision and repeatability with an increased range of motion, minimal parasitic motions (i.e.150 microns) and limited cross axes coupling.
- Shorya Awtar, An XYZ Parallel-Kinematic Flexure Mechanism with Geometrically Decoupled Degrees of Freedom, Journal of mechanisms and robotics, Vol.No-5, pp.10-17, 2013.
- Shrishail Sollapur, M S Patil, S P Deshmukh, Design and Development Aspects of Flexure Mechanism for High Precision Application, AIP Conference Proceedings 1943, 020023, 2018
- Sollapur, M. Patil, S. Deshmukh, Evaluation of Stiffness and Parametric Modeling of XY Flexure Mechanism for Precision Applications, Journal of Modeling and Simulation of Materials, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 8-15, 2018.
- Xavier Hope et.al. On a simplified nonlinear analytical model for the characterization and design optimization of Compliant XY micro-motion stage, Journal of Robotics and computer integrated manufacturing, pp.: 66-76, 2018.
- Zhang and Qing song Xu, Design of a New Flexure-Based XYZ Parallel Nanopositioning Stage, Proceedings of 2015 IEEE conference on robotics and biomimetic, Zuhai china, 2015.
- Pratik M. Waghmare, Shrishail B.Sollapur, M.S.Patil, S.P.Deshmukh, “A Review Paper on Flexure”,International Journal for Science and Advance Research in Technology, Vol 3, Issue 10 , 2017.
- Dan Zhang, Zhen Gao, A novel flexure parallel micromanipulator based on multilevel displacement amplifier, SENSORDEVICES, the third international conference on sensor device, technologies,2012.
- Lin, Y. Jia, Q. Xu, Design and optimization of a long stroke compliant micro positioning stage driven by voice coil motor, Proceeding of 12th international conference on control automation Robotics and vision (ICARCV), pp.1716-1721,2012.
- Hopkins, J.B and Culpepper, M.L, Synthesis of Multi-Degree of Freedom, Parallel Flexure System Concepts via Freedom and Constraint Topology (FACT). Part I: Principles, Precision Engineering, Vol. 34(1):259–270, 2010.
- Kim C. J, Moon Y. M., Kota S, A Building Block Approach to the Conceptual Synthesis of Compliant Mechanisms Utilizing Compliance and Stiffness Ellipsoids, Journal of mechanical Design, Vol. 130(2): 022308,2008.
- Awtar, S. Slocum, A.H., Characteristics of Beam-Based Flexure Modules, Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 129(6): 624–639,2007.
- Li Y, Xu Q, Design and Optimization of an XYZ Parallel Micromanipulator with Flexure Hinges, Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, Vol. 55(4–5): 377–402, 2009.
- Li Y., Xu Q., A Totally Decoupled Piezo-Driven XYZ Flexure parallel micro positioning Stage for Micro/Nanomanipulation, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Vol. 8(2): 265–279,2011.
- Shrishail B Sollapur, Dr. M S Patil and Dr. S P Deshmukh, Experimental Investigation of High Precision XY Mechanism, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology,9(5),pp.43–50,2018.
- Hao, “Towards the design of monolithic decoupled XYZ compliant parallel mechanisms,for multifunction applications”, Journal of mechanical sciences,pp-291-302, 2013.
- Sollapur Shrishail B and Deshmukh Suhas P, "XY Scanning Mechanism: A Dynamic Approach," International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 140-154, 2014.
Copyright (c) 2018 Santosh Baburao Jadhav, Kishor K Dhande, Suhas P Deshmukh
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Author(s) retains full copyright of their article and grants non-exclusive publishing right to this journal and its publisher “AIJR (India)”. Author(s) can archive pre-print, post-print and published version/PDF to any open access, institutional repository, social media or personal website provided that Published source must be acknowledged with citation and link to publisher version.
Click here for more information on Copyright policy
Click here for more information on Licensing policy