Influence of Crack on Modal Parameters of Cantilever Beam Using Experimental Modal Analysis
In this paper, the dynamic behavior of a cantilever beam without and with crack is observed. An elastic Aluminum cantilever beams having surface crack at various crack positions are considered to analyze dynamically. Crack depth, crack length and crack location are the foremost parameters for describing the health condition of beam in terms of modal parameters such as natural frequency, mode shape and damping ratio. It is crucial to study the influence of crack depth and crack location on modal parameters of the beam for the decent performance and its safety. Crack or damage of structure causes a reduction in stiffness, an intrinsic reduction in resonant frequencies, variation of damping ratios and mode shapes. The broad examination of cantilever beam without crack and with crack has been done using Numerical analysis (Ansys18.0) and experimental modal analysis. To observe the exact higher modes of beam, discretize the beam into small elements. An experimental set up was established for cantilever beam having crack and it was excited by an impact hammer and finally the response was obtained using PCB accelerometer with the help sound and vibration toolkit of NI Lab-view. After obtaining the Frequency response functions (FRFs), the natural frequencies of beam are estimated using peak search method. The effectiveness of experimental modal analysis in terms of natural frequency is validated with numerical analysis results. This paper contains the study of free vibration analysis under the influence of crack at different points along the length of the beam.
- S. Douka, E. Hadjileontiadisc, L.J. Forced vibration behavior and crack detection of cracked beams using instantaneous frequency, Journal of NDT and E international, 38, 411-419, (2005).
- Moezi, S.A. Zakeri, E. Zare, A. Nedaei, M. On the application of modified cuckoo optimization algorithm to the crack detection problem of cantilever Euler–Bernoulli beam, Computers and structures, 157, 42-50, (2015).
- Nahvi,H. and Jabbari, M., Crack detection in beams using experimental modal data and finite element model, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 47, 1477–1497, (2005).
- Khadem, S.E. and Rezaee, M. An analytical approach for obtaining the location and depth of an all-over part through notch on externally in-plane loaded rectangular plate using vibration analysis, Journal of Sound and vibration, 230, 291-308, (2000).
- Owolabi, G.M. Swamidas, A.S. J. and Seshadri, R. Crack detection in beams using changes in frequencies and amplitudes of frequency response functions, Journal of sound and vibration, 265,1–22, (2003).
- Nguyen, K.V. Mode shapes analysis of a cracked beam and its application for crack detection, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 333, 848–872, (2014).
- Khiem, N.T and Toan, L.K. A novel method for crack detection in beam-like structures by measurements of natural frequencies, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 333, 4084–4103, (2014).
- S.H, More.R.R., “Investigations on Effect of Notch on Performance Evaluation of Cantilever Beams” International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration, vol 22, no 4, pp.493-500, 2017.
- Gawande Shravan H., More Rudesh R., Effect of Notch Depth & Location on Modal Natural Frequency of Cantilever Beams, 8, 121-129, (2016).
- Xu, Y. F.; Chen, Da-Ming; Zhu, W. D. Damage identification of beam structures using free response shapes obtained by use of a continuously scanning laser Doppler vibrometer system, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 92, p. 226-247(2017),
- Liu, S., Zhang, L., Chen, Z., Zhou, J. and Zhu, C. (2016). Mode-specific damage identification method for reinforced concrete beams: concept, theory and experiments. Construction and Building Materials, 124, 1090-1099.
- Castel, A., Vidal, T. and François, R., Finite-element modeling to calculate the overall stiffness of cracked reinforced concrete beams. Journal of Structural Engineering, 138, 7, (2012), 889-898.
- Chen, H., Kurt, M., Lee, Y.S., McFarland, D.M., Bergman, L.A. and Vakakis, A.F., Experimental system identification of the dynamics of a vibro-impact beam with a view towards structural health monitoring and damage detection. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 46, 1, (2014),91-113.
- Colombi, P. and Fava, G., Experimental study on the fatigue behavior of cracked steel beams repaired with CFRP plates, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 145, (2015),128-142.
- Ahmet Can Altunõsüõk , Fatih Yesevi Okur , Volkan Kahya, Structural identification of a cantilever beam with multiple cracks: modelling and validation, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences (2017).
- Ma, J. Zeng, Z. Lang, L. Zhang, Y.Z. Guo, B.C. Wen, Analysis of the dynamic characteristics of a slant-cracked cantilever beam, Mech. Syst. Signal Process, 75 (2016) 261–279.
Copyright (c) 2018 Siva Sankara Babu Chinka, Balakrishna Adavi, Srinivasa Rao Putti
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Author(s) retains full copyright of their article and grants non-exclusive publishing right to this journal and its publisher “AIJR (India)”. Author(s) can archive pre-print, post-print and published version/PDF to any open access, institutional repository, social media or personal website provided that Published source must be acknowledged with citation and link to publisher version.
Click here for more information on Copyright policy
Click here for more information on Licensing policy