Pulsed Laser Annealing Effect on Optical and Structural Properties of ZnS/ZnSe Heterostructures
Studies of pulsed laser annealing (PLA) on semiconductor thin films were performed to examine changes of the optical and structural parameters due to the laser heat. Thin films of ZnS/ZnSe were deposited on quartz substrates at a pressure of 8.2*10-6 mbar using PVD technique. These thin films were annealed at different laser powers using CO2 pulsed laser. Transmission and reflection spectra were recorded before and after the annealing process. A decrease in the transmission and reflection spectra after annealing is observed. The absorption coefficient, refractive index, damping coefficient and dielectric constant were calculated before and after the annealing process. Changes in the optical parameters are found after the annealing process. The energy band gaps of ZnS and ZnSe have been determined. Upon annealing, an increase in the absorption coefficient is observed which is due to an improvement in the granular nanostructure of the ZnS/ZnSe thin films. XRD patterns of the prepared samples were obtained before and after the annealing procedure and revealed an enhancement in the crystallite structure upon annealing.
- Khenata, A. Bouhemadou, M. Sahnoun, Ali. H. Reshak, H. Baltache, M. Rabah, “Elastic, electronic and optical properties of ZnS, ZnSe and ZnTe under pressure,” Computational Materials Science vol. 38, pp. 29-38, 2006.
- Hilal Kurt and Evrim Tanriverdi, “Electrical Properties of ZnS and ZnSe Semiconductors in a Plasma-Semiconductor System,” Journal of Electronic Materials, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 3965-3975, 2017.
- E. POPA “Morphological, Structural, compositional and Raman Characterization of ZnSXSe1-X Thin Films Deposited by Quasi-Closed Volume Technique” Chalcogenide Letters, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 441-449, 2018.
- Yi-Lin Sun, Dan Xie, Meng-Xing Sun, Chang-Jiu Teng, Liu Qian, Ruo Song Chen, Lan Xiang & Tian-Ling Ren, “Hybrid graphene/cadmium free ZnSe/ZnS quantum dots phototransistors for UV detection,” Scientific Reports 8:5107.
- Thirumavalavan, K. Mani, S. Sagadevan, “A study of structural, morphological, optical and electrical properties of Zinc Selenide (ZnSe) thin film,” Mater. Today Proc. 3, 2305e2314, 2016.
- G. Trubaieva, M.A. Chaika, and A.I. Lalayants, “The Growth, Structure and Luminescence Properties of ZnSe1-xSx Materials,” Lithuanian Journal of Physics, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 254-260 2018.
- Hisaaki Nishimura, Yuxin Lin, Yuki Kunimasa, and DaeGwi Kim “Preparation of ZnSe-ZnS alloy quantum dots by a hydrothermal method and their optical properties,” IOP Conf. Series: Journal of Physics: Conf. Series1220, 012027 IOP Publishing 2019.
- Kai Ou, Shenwei Wang, Guangmiao Wan, Miaoling Huang, Yanwei Zhang, Liyuan Bai, Lixin Yi, “A study of structural, morphological and optical properties of nanostructured ZnSe/ZnS multilayer thin films,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds vol. 726, 707e711, 2017.
- H Howari, D Sands, J. E. Nicholls, J. H. C. Hogg, T. Stirner, and W. E. Hagston, “Excimer Laser Induced Diffusion in Magnetic Semiconductor Quantum Wells,” J Appl Phys, vol 88, no.3, pp. 1373-1379, 2000.
- S. Hassanien, K.A. Aly, A.A. Akl, “Study of optical properties of thermally evaporated ZnSe thin films annealed at different pulsed laser powers,” J. Alloys Compd. 685, 733e742, 2016.
- Umesh Khairnar1, Sulakshana Behere, Panjabrao Pawar, “Optical Properties of Polycrystalline Zinc Selenide Thin Films,” Materials Sciences and Applications, vol. 3, pp. 36-40, 2012.
- Xuan Truong Mai, Diem Thi Bui, Duykhanh Pham, Thanhthao Bui, Thanh Mien Nguyen4, Jinwoo Oh, Ngoc Quyen Tran, Bichthi Luong, “Study Of Single-Step Synthesis Of Hyperbranced Highly Luminescence Doped Znse:Mn, Znse:Mn/Zns Quantum Dots And Their Interactions With Acid Amine” American Journal of Engineering Research (AJER), vol. 7, no. 6, pp-27-32, 2018.
- Zhang, H. Li, Y. Ma, T. Zhai, “ZnSe nanostructures: synthesis, properties and applications,” Prog. Mater. Sci. 83, 472e535, 2016.
- Bashir Mohi Ud Din Bhata, Khurshed A. Shahb, “Effect of Shell Thickness on Electron and Hole Transmission Probabilities of a ZnSe/ZnS Core- Shel Quantum Dot,” Materials Research, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1-4, 2018.
- Anil Yadav, S. P. Nehra, Dinesh Patidar, “Synthesis, Characterization and Optical Properties of ZnSe Nanoparticles,” International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 4606-4609, 2018.
- Akl, S. A. Aly, H. Howari, “Structural characterization and optical properties of annealed ZnSSe thin films,” Chalcogenide Letters, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 247-255, 2016.
- Ma, P.-J. Zhou, H.-J. Zhan, C. Chen, Y.-N. He, “Optimization of microwave assisted synthesis of high-quality ZnSe/ZnS core/shell quantum dots using response surface methodology”, Opt. Commun. 291, 476e481, 2013.
- Mohammed Tareque Chowdhury, Md. Abdullah Zubair, Hiroaki Takeda, Kazi Md. Amjad Hussain, and Md. Fakhrul Islam, “Optical and structural characterization of ZnSe thin film fabricated by thermal vapor deposition technique,” AIMS Materials Science, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 1095-1121, 2017.
Copyright (c) 2019 Haidar Howari (Author)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Click here for more information on Copyright policy
Click here for more information on Licensing policy