Phytochemical Screening and Antioxidant Potential of Selected Nigerian Vegetables
Reducing power activities of ten vegetables commonly consumed in Katsina State, Nigeria have been assessed with the view of establishing their antioxidant capacities. Preliminary, the phytochemicals of the individual plants were screened, and it was found that various constituents were present. In particular, flavonoids and anthraquinones were found in Ficus glumosa which also appeared to demonstrate the best reducing power activity (4.898 at 25 mg/L).
- Pem and R. Jeewon, “Fruit and Vegetable Intake: Benefits and Progress of Nutrition Education Interventions - Narrative Review Article”, Iran J Public Health, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 1309-1321, Oct. 2015.
- Kranz, M. Brauchla, J. L. Slavin, and K. B. Miller. “What do we know about dietary fiber intake in children and health? The effects of fiber intake on constipation, obesity, and diabetes in children”, Advances in nutrition, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 47-53, Jan. 2012.
- Irchhaiya, A. Kumar, A. Yadav, N. Gupta, S. Kumar, N. Gupta, S. Kumar, Y. Yadav, A. Prakash, and H. Gurjar, “Metabolites in Plants and its Classification”, World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 287-305, 2015.
- L. Prior, “Oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC): New horizons in relating dietary antioxidants/bioactives and health benefits”. Journal of functional foods, vol. 18, pp 797-810, Oct. 2015.
- Kumari, A. K. Badana, and R. Malla, “Reactive oxygen species: a key constituent in cancer survival. Biomarker insights”, vol 13, pp 1-9, Feb 2018.
- A. Chelombitko, “Role of Reactive Oxygen Species in Inflammation: A Minireview”, Moscow University Biological Sciences Bulletin, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 199-202, Oct. 2018.
- Manoharan, G. J. Guillemin, R. S. Abiramasundari, M. M. Essa, M. Akbar, and M. D. Akbar, “The role of reactive oxygen species in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and Huntington’s disease: a mini review”, Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, Vol. 2016.
- Ahmed, M. M. Khan, and R. Saeed, “Comparative Analysis of Phenolics, Flavonoids, and Antioxidant and Antibacterial Potential of Methanolic, Hexanic and Aqueous Extracts from Adiantum caudatum Leaves”, Antioxidants, vol. 4, pp. 394-409, 2015.
- Rahal, A. K. Mahima, A. K. Verma, A. Kumar, R. M. Tiwari, S. Kapoor, S. Chakraborty, and K. Dhama, “Phytonutrients and nutraceuticals in vegetables and their multi-dimensional medicinal and health benefits for humans and their companion animals: A review”, Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1-9, Jan. 2014.
- N. Madike, S. Takaidza, and M. Pillay, “Preliminary Phytochemical Screening of Crude Extracts from the Leaves, Stems, and Roots of Tulbaghia violacea”, International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 1300-1308, October 2017.
- Gul, S. U. Jan, S. Faridullah, S. Sherani, and N. Jahan, “Preliminary Phytochemical Screening, Quantitative Analysis of Alkaloids, and Antioxidant Activity of Crude Plant Extracts from Ephedra intermedia Indigenous to Balochistan,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2017, pp 1-7, March 2017.
- El Jemli, R. Kamal, I. Marmouzi, A. Zerrouki, Y. Cherrah, and K. Alaoui, “Radical-Scavenging Activity and Ferric Reducing Ability of Juniperus thurifera (L.), J. oxycedrus (L.), J. phoenicea (L.) and Tetraclinis articulata (L.),” Advances in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 2016, April 2016.
- Fouillaud, Y. Caro, M. Venkatachalam, I. Grondin, and L. Dufossé, “Anthraquinones. Leo M. L. Nollet; Janet Alejandra Gutiérrez-Uribe. Phenolic Compounds in Food Characterization and Analysis”, CRC Press, pp.130-170, 2018, 978-1-4987-2296-4.
- T. Oz and E. Kafkas, “Phytochemicals in Fruits and Vegetables, Superfood and Functional Food - An Overview of Their Processing and Utilization”, Viduranga Waisundara and Naofumi Shiomi, IntechOpen, March 2017.
- U. Umar, A. Moh’d, and Y. Tanko, “Effects of Ethanol Leaf Extract of Ficus Glumosa on Fasting blood Glucose and Serum Lipid Profile in Diabetic Rats” Nigerian J Physiological Science, Vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 99-104, June 2013.
- Ahmed, M. M. Khan, and R. Saeed, “Comparative Analysis of Phenolics, Flavonoids, and Antioxidant and Antibacterial Potential of Methanolic, Hexanic and Aqueous Extracts from Adiantum caudatum Leaves”, Antioxidants, June 2015, 4, 394-409.
- Elkhamlichia, E. Hanane, F. Hassan, A. Anouar, E. Brahim, and L. Mohammed, “Phytochemical screening and evaluation of antioxidant and antibacterial activities of seeds and pods extracts of Calycotome villosa subsp. Intermedia”, Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science Vol. 7, no. 04, pp. 192-198, April 2017.
- Agarwal, D. Singh, J. Jyotshna, A. Ahmad, K. Shanker, S. Tandon, and S. Luqman, “Antioxidative potential of two chemically characterized Ocimum (Tulsi) species extracts”, Biomedical Research and Therapy, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 1574-1590, Sep. 2017.
Copyright (c) 2019 Yusuf Hassan, Magaji Ilu Barde
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Author(s) retains full copyright of their article and grants non-exclusive publishing right to International Annals of Science and its publisher “AIJR (India)”. Author(s) can archive pre-print, post-print and published version/PDF to any open access, institutional repository, social media or personal website provided that Published source must be acknowledged with citation and link to publisher version.
Click here for more information on Copyright policy
Click here for more information on Licensing policy