Physiochemical Analysis of Sandalwood (Santalum Album) Leaf Litters Degraded by Eisenia foetida and Eudrilus eugenia
The decay of leaf litter by microflora and fauna furnish nutrient supply to the soil and also uphold ecological sustainability. Applying of proper technique and exploring of result provides information for the betterment of agricultural system. Vermicomposting of Sandalwood (Santalum album) leaf litters were studied with an emphasis of physio-chemical deviation during the process and also compared with 100 % cattle dung. Obtained result explore that temperate of 50 % leaf litter (LL) and 100 % cattle dung (CD) was slightly elevated (37ºC ±1 ºC and 35ºC ±1 ºC respectively) at beginning phase and later came down to ambient level (20ºC±1 ºC). The total organic carbon (TOC) exhausted 44 % in 50 % LL Vermicomposting mixture while 70 % in 100 % CD during the process. At the final stage, TOC found more in 50% LL as compared to 100% CD. Nitrogen content was found 1.02±0.1 in 50 % LL and 0.88±0.1 in 100 % CD at the initial phase but after completion of Vermicomposting, their level was increased up to 40 to 44 %. pH was also measured during vermicomposting and found 7.2±0.1 in 50% LL while 8.4±0.1 in 100% CD at the initial phase. The at the end of process pH raised and set up to 8.2 ±0.1 in 50% LL while in 100% CD it was found 8.0 ±0.1.
- M. Palanivel and H. Sulaiman, “Generation and Composition of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) in Muscat, Sultanate of Oman” APCBEE Procedia ,vol.10,pp.96 – 102, 2014.
- S, Shouche, P. Bhati & S. Jain, “Recycling wastes into valuable organic fertilizer: vermicomposting”, International Journal of Researches in Biosciences. Agriculture & Technology,vol.2,no.2,pp.520-527,2014.
- Zhao, T.H. Christensen, W. Lu, H. Wu and H. Wang, “Environmental impact assessment of solid waste management in Beijing City, China”, Waste management, 31: pp.793-799, 2011.
- Rawat, A. Ramanathan and T. Kuriakose, "Characterisation of Municipal Solid Waste Compost (MSWC) from Selected Indian Cities—A Case Study for Its Sustainable Utilisation," Journal of Environmental Protection, Vol. 4 No. 2, 2013. pp. 163-171.
- Kalanatarifard and G.S. Yang, “ Identification of the Municipal Solid Waste Characteristics and Potential of Plastic Recovery at Bakri Landfill, Muar, Malaysia”, Journal of Sustainable Development , vol.5,no.7, p11,2012.
- N .Thitame, G.M. Pondhe, D.C. Meshran, “Characterization and Composition of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) generated in Sangamner city, District Ahmed nagar, Maharashtra, India”, Environment Monitoring Assessment, vol.170, pp.1-5, 2010.
- Boldrin, and T. H. Christensen, “Seasonal generation and composition of garden waste in Aarhus (Denmark). Waste Management, vol., no. 4, pp.51-557, 2010.
- R. Chaudhary, S.C. Bhandari and L.M. Shukla, “Role of vermicompost in sustainable Agriculture –A Review”, J. Agri. Rev, vol.25,no. 1,pp.29-39,2004.
- K. Sannigrah, “Biodegradation of leaf litter of tree species in presence of cow dung and earthworms” Indian Journal of Biotechnology.vol.8, pp. 335-338, 2009.
- K. Sharma and B. Mishra, “Effect of burning rice and wheat crop residues in loss of N,P,K and S from soil and changes in the nutrients availability”, J. Indian Soc Soil Sci, vol.49,pp.425-429,2001.
- Nagar, A. Titov and P. Bhati, “Vermicomposting of Leaf litters: Way to convert waste in to Best”, INT J CURR SCI, vol.20, no.4, pp. E 17-25, 2017.
- Nagar, A. Titov and P. Bhati, “Transformation of sandalwood leaves (Santalum album) into nutrient rich compound through vermicomposting”, IJHAF, vol.2,no.3, 39-45,2018.
- Nagar, A. Titov, and P. Bhati, “Study of Changes in Physical Parameters of compost and vermicompost of Eucalyptus leaf litters”, Adv. J. Grad. Res., vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 34-40, Apr. 2018.
- Shouche, P. Bhati and P. Pandey , “Study about the changes in physical parameters during vermicomposting of floral wastes”, Journal of Environmental Research and Development, vol.6,no.1 ,pp.63-68,2011.
- Nagar, A. Titov, and P. Bhati, Prolific Utilization of Earthworm Species to Convert Green Leaf of Jamun (Black Plum) Into Soil Nutrient. Academy of Agriculture Journal, Vol.3, Issue.2, 2018, Page No: 240-245, 2018.
- Nagar, A. Titov, and P. Bhati, Vermicomposting of green Eucalyptus leaf litter by Eisenia foetida and Eudrilus eugenia. International Journal of Environment, Agriculture and Biotechnology. 2(6):2811-2818, 2017.
- Shouche, P. Bhati, and S.K. Jain, “Recycling wastes into valuable organic fertilizer: Vermicomposting”, International Journal of Researches in Bioscience, Agriculture and Technology, vol.2, no.2 ,pp.520-527, 2014.
- Shinde, N. B. Gokhale, N. H. Khobragade, M.C. Kasture, V.N. Palsande, S. S. Pawar, P.V. Patil, and N.S. Joshi, “Vermicomposting: recycling organic wastes into valuable eco-friendly fertilizer”, Plant archives,vol.15,no.1,pp.315-317,2015.
- B. Taiwo and B. A. Oso, “Influence of composting techniques on microbial succession, temperature and pH in a composting municipal solid waste”, African. Journal of Biotechnology, vol.3, no.4, pp.239-243, 2004.
- American Public Health Association. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. Method 4500-NO3- Part E. 4500-NH3 E. 18th Edition. Washington, D. C.(1992).
- Lefebvre, S.Lanini and D. Houi “The role of aerobic activity on refuse temperature rise :I. Land fill experimental study,” Waste Manage .Res,vol.18, no.5,pp. 444–452, 2000.
- P. Bernal, J.A. Alburquerque and R. Moral, “Composting of animal manures and chemical criteria for compost maturity assessment. A review”, BioresourTechnol,vol.100,pp.5444–5453,2009.
- M. Atiyeh, N.Q. Arancon, C.A. Edwards and J.D. Metzger , “Influence of earthworm-processed pig manure on the growth and yield of greenhouse tomatoes”, Biores. Technol, vol.75,pp.175–180.2000.
- Suthar, “Potential utilization of guar gum industrial waste in vermicompost production”. Bioresour. Technol, vol.97,pp.2474–2477,2006.
- R. White, M. Franke and P. Hindle, “Integrated solid waste management: a lifecycle inventory”, Chapman and hall, London,(1995).
- Elvira, L. Sampedro, E. Benitz, I. Walter and R. Calbo, “Vermicomposting of sludge from paper mill and dairy industries with Eisenia andrei: A pilot scale study” Bio resource Technology, vol.63,pp. 205-211,1998.
- M. Ndegwa and S.A. Thompson, “Effects of C to- N ratio on vermicomposting in the treatment and bioconversion of biosolids”, Bioresource technology, vol.76,pp. 107-112,2000.
- L. Mckinley and R.J. Vestal, “Physical and chemical correlates of microbial activity and biomass in composting municipal sewage sludge”, Appl Environ Microbiol, vol.50 1395–1403, 1985.
Copyright (c) 2019 Praveesh Bhati, Ritu Nagar, Anurag Titov
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Author(s) retains full copyright of their article and grants non-exclusive publishing right to International Annals of Science and its publisher “AIJR (India)”. Author(s) can archive pre-print, post-print and published version/PDF to any open access, institutional repository, social media or personal website provided that Published source must be acknowledged with citation and link to publisher version.
Click here for more information on Copyright policy
Click here for more information on Licensing policy