Facile Synthesis and Characterization of Chitosan Nanofibers by Oil/Water Emulsion Method
A facial approach for the synthesis of surfactant free, biodegradable and eco-friendly chitosan nanofibers (CS-NFS) was prepared by Oil/Water Emulsion method. The morphology of the CS-NFS was examined by field emission scanning electron microscopy (FE-SEM). FE-SEM images show the nanoscale chitosan nanofibers formation with sizes in the ranges of ~100-200 nm. Physiochemical characterizations of the CS-NFS were analyzed by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR), UV-visible spectroscopy and thermogravimetric analysis. The CS-NFS are expected to be useful in electrical, optical and electrochemical devices.
- Zhang, Lijie, and Thomas J. Webster, “Nanotechnology and nanomaterials: promises for improved tissue regeneration”, Nano today,4(1), 66-80, 2009.
- Ohkawa, Kousaku, Ken-Ichi Minato, Go Kumagai, Shinya Hayashi, and Hiroyuki Yamamoto, “Chitosan nanofiber”, Biomacromolecules,7(11), 3291-3294,2006.
- Geng, O.H. Kwon and J. Jang, “Electrospinning of chitosan dissolved in concentrated acetic acid solution”, Biomaterials, 26,5427, 2005.
- Wang, Jian‐Wen, Ching‐Yi Chen, and Yi‐Ming Kuo, “Chitosan–poly (acrylic acid) nanofiber networks prepared by the doping induction of succinic acid and its ammonia‐response studies”, Polymers for Advanced Technologies,19(9), 1343-1352, 2008.
- Marsich, Eleonora, Massimiliano Borgogna, Ivan Donati, Pamela Mozetic, Berit L. Strand, Santiago Gomez Salvador, Franco Vittur, and Sergio Paoletti, “Alginate/lactose‐modified chitosan hydrogels: A bioactive biomaterial for chondrocyte encapsulation”, Journal of biomedical materials research, Part A84(2), 364-376, 2008.
- N, Canas, T. Valero, M. Villarroya, E. Montell, J. Verges, A.G. Garcia and M.G. Lopez, “Chondroitin sulfate protects SH-SY5Y cells from oxidative stress by inducing heme oxygenase-1 via phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt”, Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics,323, 946, 2007.
- Lahiji, Ashkan, Afshin Sohrabi, David S. Hungerford, and Carmelita G. Frondoza, “Chitosan supports the expression of extracellular matrix proteins in human osteoblasts and chondrocytes”, Journal of biomedical materials research,51(4), 586-595, 2000.
- Shahidi, Fereidoon, Janak Kamil Vidana Arachchi, and You-Jin Jeon, “Food applications of chitin and chitosans”, Trends in food science & technology,10(2), 37-51, 1999.
- He, Ping, Stanley S. Davis, and Lisbeth Illum, “In vitro evaluation of the mucoadhesive properties of chitosan microspheres”, International journal of pharmaceutics,166(1), 75-88,1998.
- Ilyina, A. V., V. E. Tikhonov, A. I. Albulov, and V. P. Varlamov, “Enzymic preparation of acid-free-water-soluble chitosan”, Process Biochemistry,35(6),563-568, 2000.
- Jumaa, Muhannad, and Bernd W. Müller, “Physicochemical properties of chitosan-lipid emulsions and their stability during the autoclaving process”, International journal of pharmaceutics,183(2), 175-184,1999.
- Du, Wen-Li, Shan-Shan Niu, Ying-Lei Xu, Zi-Rong Xu, and Cheng-Li Fan, “Antibacterial activity of chitosan tripolyphosphate nanoparticles loaded with various metal ions”, Carbohydrate Polymers,75(3),385-389,2009.
- Wan, Ying, Xiaoying Cao, Quan Wu, Shengmin Zhang, and Sheng Wang, “Preparation and mechanical properties of poly (chitosan‐g‐DL‐lactic acid) fibrous mesh scaffolds”, Polymers for Advanced Technologies,19(2), 114-123,2008.
- Sogias, Ioannis A., Adrian C. Williams, and Vitaliy V. Khutoryanskiy, “Why is chitosan mucoadhesive?”, Biomacromolecules,9(7),1837-1842,2008.
- Khor, Eugene, “Chitin: a biomaterial in waiting”, Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science,6(4),313-317,2002.
- Rinaudo, Marguerite, “Main properties and current applications of some polysaccharides as biomaterials”, Polymer International,57(3), 397-430,2008.
- Yang, Anle, and Renjie Wu, “Mechanical properties and interfacial interaction of a novel bioabsorbable chitin fiber reinforced poly (∈-caprolactone) composite”, Journal of materials science letters,20(11)977-979,2001.
- C. Anand, J.F. Kennedy, M. Miraftab and S. Rajendran, Medical Textiles and Biomaterials for Healthcare, Woodhead Publishing Ltd, (2006)
- Qin, Yimin, “The preparation and characterization of chitosan wound dressings with different degrees of acetylation”, Journal of applied polymer science,107(2),993-999,2008.
- Burkatovskaya, Marina, George P. Tegos, Emilia Swietlik, Tatiana N. Demidova, Ana P. Castano, and Michael R. Hamblin, “Use of chitosan bandage to prevent fatal infections developing from highly contaminated wounds in mice”, Biomaterials,27(22), 4157-4164, 2006.
- Lim, Sang-Hoon, and Samuel M. Hudson, “Application of a fiber-reactive chitosan derivative to cotton fabric as an antimicrobial textile finish”, Carbohydrate Polymers,56(2), 227-234, 2004.
- Liu, Guojun, Jianfu Ding, Lijie Qiao, Andrew Guo, Boris P. Dymov, James T. Gleeson, T. Hashimoto, and K. Saijo, “Polystyrene‐block‐poly (2‐cinnamoylethyl methacrylate) Nanofibers-Preparation, Characterization, and Liquid Crystalline Properties”, Chemistry-A European Journal,5(9),2740-2749,1999.
- McCulloch, W. J. G, “The history of the development of melt blowing technology”, International Nonwovens Journal,8(1),66-72,1999.
- Ondarcuhu, T., and C. Joachim, “Drawing a single nanofibre over hundreds of microns”, EPL (Europhysics Letters),42(2),215,1998.
- Feng, Lin, Shuhong Li, Huanjun Li, Jin Zhai, Yanlin Song, Lei Jiang, and Daoben Zhu, “Super‐hydrophobic surface of aligned polyacrylonitrile nanofibers”, Angewandte Chemie,114(7), 1269-1271,2002.
- Blair, Richard, Heather Shepherd, Tanya Faltens, Philip C. Haussmann, Richard B. Kaner, Sarah H. Tolbert, Jiaxing Huang, Shabnam Virji, and Bruce H. Weiller, “Construction of a polyaniline nanofiber gas sensor”, Journal of Chemical Education,85(8),1102, 2008.
- Zhang, Xinyu, Roch Chan-Yu-King, Anil Jose, and Sanjeev K. Manohar, “Nanofibers of polyaniline synthesized by interfacial polymerization”, Synthetic Metals,145(1), 23-29, 2004.
- Du, Jimin, Jianling Zhang, Buxing Han, Zhimin Liu, and Meixiang Wan, “Polyaniline microtubes synthesized via supercritical CO2 and aqueous interfacial polymerization”, Synthetic metals,155(3),523-526,2005.
- Liu, Siwei, Kaizheng Zhu, Yi Zhang, and Jiarui Xu, “Cyclic polyaniline nanostructures from aqueous/organic interfacial polymerization induced by polyacrylic acid”, Polymer,47(22), 7680-7683,2006.
- Sangsanoh, Pakakrong, and Pitt Supaphol, “Stability improvement of electrospun chitosan nanofibrous membranes in neutral or weak basic aqueous solutions”, Biomacromolecules,7(10), 2710-2714, 2006.
- Shigemasa, Yoshihiro, Hiroaki Matsuura, Hitoshi Sashiwa, and Hiroyuki Saimoto, Evaluation of different absorbance ratios from infrared spectroscopy for analyzing the degree of deacetylation in chitin”, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules,18(3) 237-242, 1996.
- Kaushik, Ajeet, Raju Khan, Pratima R. Solanki, Pratibha Pandey, Javed Alam, Sharif Ahmad, and B. D. Malhotra, “Iron oxide nanoparticles–chitosan composite based glucose biosensor”, Biosensors and bioelectronics,24(4), 676-683, 2008.
- Yue, J., A. J. Epstein, Z. Zhong, P. K. Gallagher, and A. G. MacDiarmid, “Thermal stabilities of polyanilines”, Synthetic Metals,41(1-2),765-768,1991.
- Ragupathy, Dhanusuraman, Palanisamy Gomathi, Loganathan Kumaresan, Soo Chool Lee, Salem S. Al-Deyab, Sang Hak Lee, and Han Do Ghim, “Self-assembly growth of electrically conductive chitosan nanofibrous scaffold”, Macromolecular Research,20(10),1070-1074,2012.
- Gomathi, Palanisamy, Min Kwan Kim, Jung Je Park, Dhanusuraman Ragupathy, Annamalai Rajendran, Soo Chool Lee, Jae Chang Kim, Sang Hak Lee, and Han Do Ghim, “Multiwalled carbon nanotubes grafted chitosan nanobiocomposite: A prosperous functional nanomaterials for glucose biosensor application”, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical,155(2),897-902,2011.
Copyright (c) 2018 Ragupathy Dhanusuraman, E Muthusankar, D Kamalakannan
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
By submitting articles in "Advanced Nano Research", author(s) agree to publish their work with CC BY-NC 4.0 license. Author(s) retains full copyright of their article and grants non-exclusive publishing right to Advanced Nano Research and its publisher “AIJR (India)”. Author(s) can archive pre-print, post-print and published version/PDF to any open access, institutional repository, social media or personal website provided that Published source must be acknowledged with citation and link to publisher version.
Click here for more information on Copyright policy
Click here for more information on Licensing policy
Science and Engineering Research Board
Grant numbers SB/FT/CS-117/2014