Preparation and Characterization of Carbon Nanotube Deposited Carbon Fiber Reinforced Epoxy Matrix Multiscale Composites
In this study, desized carbon fibers were coated with carbon nanotubes using two diverse coating techniques, i.e. dip coating and spray up process, while the factors affecting the coating techniques were investigated. The morphological study revealed better nanotube coating on carbon fibers from dip coating technique as compared to spray up process. Later, nanotube-coated fibers from dip coating were impregnated with epoxy to fabricate multiscale carbon fiber reinforced epoxy matrix composites. The nanotubes on fiber surface were expected to improve the interlaminar shear properties of the multiscale composites. According to short beam shear testing, 14% increase in interlaminar shear strength was observed in composite containing nanotubes as compared to reference composite. Microscopic observation under optical and electron microscopes confirmed the void-free impregnation of fibers with epoxy along with the presence of nanotubes on fibers and in matrix in the vicinity of fibers. Finally, the mechanisms involving the enhanced interlaminar properties were identified and discussed.
- Pathak, A.K., Borah, M., Gupta, A., Yokozeki, T., and Dhakate, S.R.: ‘Improved mechanical properties of carbon fiber/graphene oxide-epoxy hybrid composites’, Compos. Sci. Technol., 2016, 135, pp. 28-38
- Hughes, J.: ‘The carbon fibre/epoxy interface—a review’, Compos. Sci. Technol., 1991, 41, (1), pp. 13-45
- Subhani, T.: ‘Silica and borosilicate glass matrix composites containing carbon nanotubes’, Imperial College London, 2012
- Kepple, K., Sanborn, G., Lacasse, P., Gruenberg, K., and Ready, W.: ‘Improved fracture toughness of carbon fiber composite functionalized with multi walled carbon nanotubes’, Carbon, 2008, 46, (15), pp. 2026-2033
- Yao, X., Jiang, J., Xu, C., Zhou, L., Deng, C., and Wang, J.: ‘Improved interfacial properties of carbon fiber/epoxy composites through graphene oxide-assisted deposition of carbon nanotubes on carbon fiber surface’, Fibers and Polymers, 2017, 18, (7), pp. 1323-1329
- Khurram, A.A., Khan, A., Gul, I.H., and Subhani, T.: ‘Glass Fiber Epoxy Matrix Composites Containing Zero and Two Dimensional Carbonaceous Nanoreinforcements’, Polymer Composites
- Jamnani, B.D., Hosseini, S., Rahmanian, S., Rashid, S.A., and Balavandy, S.K.: ‘Grafting carbon nanotubes on glass fiber by dip coating technique to enhance tensile and interfacial shear strength’, Journal of Nanomaterials, 2015, 16, (1), pp. 306
- Dai, Z., Shi, F., Zhang, B., Li, M., and Zhang, Z.: ‘Effect of sizing on carbon fiber surface properties and fibers/epoxy interfacial adhesion’, Appl. Surf. Sci., 2011, 257, (15), pp. 6980-6985
- Chun, B.-W., Davis, C.R., He, Q., and Gustafson, R.R.: ‘Development of surface acidity during electrochemical treatment of pan-carbon fibers’, Carbon, 1992, 30, (2), pp. 177-187
- Kumar, M., and Ando, Y.: ‘Chemical vapor deposition of carbon nanotubes: a review on growth mechanism and mass production’, Journal of nanoscience and nanotechnology, 2010, 10, (6), pp. 3739-3758
- Lee, J.U., Park, B., Kim, B.-S., Bae, D.-R., and Lee, W.: ‘Electrophoretic deposition of aramid nanofibers on carbon fibers for highly enhanced interfacial adhesion at low content’, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 2016, 84, pp. 482-489
- NI, A.B.: ‘Carbon nanotube (CNT) reinforced glass and glass-ceramic matrix composites’, Ceramic Nanocomposites, 2013, pp. 208
- Subhani, T., Shaukat, B., Ali, N., and Khurram, A.A.: ‘Toward improved mechanical performance of multiscale carbon fiber and carbon nanotube epoxy composites’, Polymer Composites, 2015
- Subhani, T., Latif, M., Ahmad, I., Rakha, S.A., Ali, N., and Khurram, A.A.: ‘Mechanical performance of epoxy matrix hybrid nanocomposites containing carbon nanotubes and nanodiamonds’, Materials & Design, 2015, 87, pp. 436-444
- Cho, J., Konopka, K., Rożniatowski, K., García-Lecina, E., Shaffer, M.S., and Boccaccini, A.R.: ‘Characterisation of carbon nanotube films deposited by electrophoretic deposition’, Carbon, 2009, 47, (1), pp. 58-67
- Davis, D.C., Wilkerson, J.W., Zhu, J., and Ayewah, D.O.: ‘Improvements in mechanical properties of a carbon fiber epoxy composite using nanotube science and technology’, Compos. Struct., 2010, 92, (11), pp. 2653-2662
- Boccaccini, A.R., Cho, J., Roether, J.A., Thomas, B.J., Minay, E.J., and Shaffer, M.S.: ‘Electrophoretic deposition of carbon nanotubes’, Carbon, 2006, 44, (15), pp. 3149-3160
- Moaseri, E., Karimi, M., Maghrebi, M., and Baniadam, M.: ‘Two-fold enhancement in tensile strength of carbon nanotube–carbon fiber hybrid epoxy composites through combination of electrophoretic deposition and alternating electric field’, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 2014, 51, (3), pp. 774-785
- Zhao, Z., Teng, K., Li, N., Li, X., Xu, Z., Chen, L., Niu, J., Fu, H., Zhao, L., and Liu, Y.: ‘Mechanical, thermal and interfacial performances of carbon fiber reinforced composites flavored by carbon nanotube in matrix/interface’, Compos. Struct., 2017, 159, pp. 761-772
- Fan, Z., Santare, M.H., and Advani, S.G.: ‘Interlaminar shear strength of glass fiber reinforced epoxy composites enhanced with multi-walled carbon nanotubes’, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 2008, 39, (3), pp. 540-554
- Li, M., Gu, Y., Liu, Y., Li, Y., and Zhang, Z.: ‘Interfacial improvement of carbon fiber/epoxy composites using a simple process for depositing commercially functionalized carbon nanotubes on the fibers’, Carbon, 2013, 52, pp. 109-121.
Copyright (c) 2017 Faizan Siddique Awan, Tayyab Subhani
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
By submitting articles in "Advanced Nano Research", author(s) agree to publish their work with CC BY-NC 4.0 license. Author(s) retains full copyright of their article and grants non-exclusive publishing right to Advanced Nano Research and its publisher “AIJR (India)”. Author(s) can archive pre-print, post-print and published version/PDF to any open access, institutional repository, social media or personal website provided that Published source must be acknowledged with citation and link to publisher version.
Click here for more information on Copyright policy
Click here for more information on Licensing policy