SiC Particulate Reinforced Aluminium Metal Matrix Composite
Al or Al alloy MMCs have wide range of application i.e. aerospace, automobile etc. due to its lightweight, high tensile strength, high wear resistance. This review paper characterized the SiC particulate reinforced Al MMCs. The SiC particulates are dispersed in Al or Al alloy by liquid state processing route and solid-state processing route. Stir casting liquid processing route has been followed by no. of researchers due to its simplicity and low processing cost and at the time of reinforcement small amount of Mg is added to increase the wettability of SiC in molten Al or Al alloy. When Al or Al alloy reinforced with SiC, then its mechanical and tribological properties are enhanced. The effect of particle size, weight or volume fraction of the SiC on density, porosity, hardness, impact toughness, tensile strength, ductility, sliding wear resistance, slurry erosion resistance, erosion-corrosion resistance, corrosion resistance and fatigue strength of Al or Al alloy MMCs are reported. The effect of extrusion and machinability of the SiC particulate reinforced AMMCs are also discussed in this review article.
- M. Jones, Mechanics of composite materials, Second Edi. CRC press, 1998.
- K. Kaw, Mechanics of composite materials. CRC press, 2006.
- Fan and J. Njuguna, “An introduction to lightweight composite materials and their use in transport structures,” Light. Compos. Struct. Transp., pp. 3–34, 2016.
- P. Adrian and B. M. Gheorghe, “Manufacturing process and applications of composite materials,” Fascicle Manag. Technol. Eng., vol. 9, no. 19, pp. 3.1-3.6, 2010.
- O. Babalola, C. A. Bolu, A. O. Inegbenebor, and K. M. Odunfa, “Development of aluminium matrix composites : A review,” Online Int. J. Eng. Technol. Res., vol. 2, pp. 1–11, 2014.
- S. Cole and A. M. Sherman, “Lightweight materials for automotive applications,” Mater. Charact., vol. 35, pp. 3–9, 1995.
- Cocen and K. Onel, “Ductility and strength of extruded SiCp/aluminium-alloy composites,” Compos. Sci. Technol., vol. 62, pp. 275–282, 2002.
- Sahin, “Preparation and some properties of SiC particle reinforced aluminium alloy composites,” Mater. Des., vol. 24, pp. 671–679, 2003.
- M. El-Galy, M. H. Ahmed, and B. I. Bassiouny, “Characterization of functionally graded Al-SiCp metal matrix composites manufactured by centrifugal casting,” Alexandria Eng. J., 2017.
- Venkataraman and G. Sundararajan, “The sliding wear behaviour of Al-SiC particulate composites-I. Macrobehaviour,” Acta Mater., vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 451–460, 1996.
- Ozben, E. Kilickap, and C. Orhan, “Investigation of mechanical and machinability properties of SiC particle reinforced Al-MMC,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., vol. 198, pp. 220–225, 2008.
- B. Rao, “An experimental investigation on mechanical and wear properties of Al7075/SiCp composites: effect of SiC content and particle size,” J. Tribol., 2017.
- Ozden, R. Ekici, and F. Nair, “Investigation of impact behaviour of aluminium based SiC particle reinforced metal–matrix composites,” Compos. Part A Appl. Sci. Manuf., vol. 38, pp. 484–494, 2007.
- L. Meena, A. Manna, and S. S. Banwait, “An analysis of mechanical properties of the developed Al/SiC-MMC’s,” Am. J. Mech. Eng., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 14–19, 2013.
- B. Karamis, A. Tasdemirci, and F. Nair, “Failure and tribological behaviour of the AA5083 and AA6063 composites reinforced by SiC particles under ballistic impact,” Compos. Part A Appl. Sci. Manuf., vol. 34, pp. 217–226, 2003.
- Uzkut, “Abrasive wear behaviour of SiCp-reinforced 2011 Al-alloy composites,” Mater. Technol., vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 635–638, 2013.
- H. Idrisi and A. I. Mourad, “Fabrication and wear analysis of aluminium matrix composite reinforced by SiC micro and nano particles,” in Proceedings of the ASME 2017 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference, 2017, pp. 1–8.
- Manivannan, S. Ranganathan, S. Gopalakannan, S. Suresh, K. Nagakarthigan, and R. Jubendradass, “Tribological and surface behavior of silicon carbide reinforced aluminum matrix nanocomposite,” Surfaces and Interfaces, 2017.
- T. Erturk, M. Sahin, and M. Aras, “Tribological behavior of SiC particulate reinforced AA5754 matrix composite under dry and lubricated conditions,” Trans. Indian Inst. Met., 2016.
- Pradhan, S. Ghosh, T. K. Barman, and P. Sahoo, “Tribological behavior of Al-SiC metal matrix composite under dry , aqueous and alkaline medium,” Silicon, 2017.
- Pradhan, T. K. Barman, P. Sahoo, and G. Sutradhar, “Effect of SiC weight percentage on tribological properties of Al-SiC metal matrix composites under acid environment,” J. Tribol., vol. 13, pp. 21–35, 2017.
- Sadagopan, H. K. Natarajan, and P. K. J, “Study of silicon carbide-reinforced aluminum matrix composite brake rotor for motorcycle application,” Int J Adv Manuf Technol, 2017.
- Das, “Development of aluminium alloy composites for engineering applications,” Trans. Indian Inst. Met., vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 325–334, 2004.
- M. S. Kumar, K. P. Rao, and D. P. Girish, “Corrosion-erosion wear analysis of Al/SiC metal matrix composites by taguchi’s technique,” Int. J. Adv. Eng. Technol., vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 23–26, 2013.
- Ramachandra and K. Radhakrishna, “Sliding wear, slurry erosive wear, and corrosive wear of aluminium/SiC composite,” Mater. Sci., vol. 24, no. 2/1, pp. 333–349, 2006.
- V. S. N. Murty, B. N. Rao, and B. P. Kashyap, “On the hot working characteristics of 6061Al-SiC and 6061-Al2O3 particulate reinforced metal matrix composites,” Compos. Sci. Technol., vol. 63, pp. 119–135, 2003.
- J. Lloyd, H. Lagace, A. McLeod, and P. L. Morris, “Microstructural aspects of aluminium-silicon carbide particulate composites produced by a casting method,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A, vol. 107, pp. 73–80, 1989.
- Razaghian, D. Yu, and T. Chandra, “Fracture behaviour of a SiC-particulate-reinforced aluminium alloy at high temperature,” Compos. Sci. Technol., vol. 58, pp. 293–298, 1998.
- M. L. Nai and M. Gupta, “Synthesis and characterization of free standing , bulk Al/SiCp functionally gradient materials : effects of different stirrer geometries,” Mater. Res. Bull., vol. 38, pp. 1573–1589, 2003.
- Z. Chen and K. Tokaji, “Effects of particle size on fatigue crack initiation and small crack growth in SiC particulate-reinforced aluminium alloy composites,” Mater. Lett., vol. 58, pp. 2314–2321, 2004.
Copyright (c) 2018 Murlidhar Patel, Bhupendra Pardhi, Manoj Pal, Mukesh Kumar Singh
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Click here for more information on Copyright policy
Click here for more information on Licensing policy